What is a Fisher House?
- A Fisher House is “a home away from home” for families of patients receiving medical care at major military and VA medical centers.
- 82 Fisher Houses located on military installations and VA medical centers as of April 2019
- Each Fisher House is designed, planned, and constructed by the Fisher House Foundation.
- Lodging includes private bedrooms/baths with a common kitchen, laundry facilities and living room at no charge to the families being served. Common areas encourage community and fellowship, so that each house provides a support network for its residents.
- Each Fisher House in Michigan will have 16 private family suites, each expected to cost $7M to build.
- Fisher Houses have provided over 8 million free nights of lodging for military families since 1990.
- Once constructed, each Fisher House is gifted to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Why does Michigan Need Fisher Houses?
- There are over 650,000 military Service Members and Veterans in Michigan, including Veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan who are transitioning from active service to civilian life.
- While the Ann Arbor VA Healthcare System & John D. Dingell VA Medical Center in Detroit provide premiere healthcare to Veterans, we have no Fisher Houses to serve their families during medical crises.
- 500+ housing requests every month at the VAMCs in Southeast Michigan
- Together, the two Fisher Houses in Michigan will provide 11,680 nights of free lodging to family members annually.
- Savings to Veterans and military families will exceed $1.5M per year.
Where in Michigan will the Fisher Houses be located?
- The VA facilities in SE Michigan provide critical medical treatment procedures not available in other nearby VA facilities regionally:
- cancer treatment; prosthetic development and fitting; trans-aortic valve replacement; deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease; Traumatic Brain Injury treatment; and more.
- Detroit VA received multiple accreditations, including the Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval for such services as hospital, behavioral health, and their opioid treatment program.
- Ann Arbor VA received multiple accreditations, including Radiation Oncology and Commission on Cancer.
Other Important Facts:
- Fisher House Michigan (FHM) was formed in November 2016, is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, and has raised over $5,500,000 in cash and pledges toward its goal as of April 2019.
- FHM will raise $20 Million in its capital campaign; $6M of which will be used to support the VA House Manager(s) to meet the needs of FHM guests after the Ann Arbor and Detroit houses are built.
- The Fisher House Foundation has had a 4-star Charity Navigator rating for over 15 years; FHM holds a platinum rating from Guide Star.
- In November 2016, the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Fisher House Foundation approved building a Fisher House on the VA campus in Ann Arbor. The Detroit Fisher House was approved in March 2018.
- Annual Veteran Storytelling Event supports the FHM mission: Details & tickets at www.storiesofservice.org
More Questions? Call 518-481-0552 or visit www.fisherhousemichigan.org